header-photo

Friday, November 20, 2009

6 Months

Today marks six months since I met M. Our first date was on May 20th. I'm hesitant to call it an anniversary. I mean it sort of is but every time I think of a six month anniversary all that comes into my head is teenagers. It doesn't seem like quite the grown up way to put it but I'm not sure how else to say it.

Just like what he is. For all intents and purposes M is my boyfriend. I can't say that term without instantly feeling like I'm back in high school again. I don't know why. Something about having been married and quickly closing in on the age of thirty just makes me feel ridiculous telling someone I have a boyfriend. So instead, any time I refer to M I usually just call him M, if people know who I'm talking about, or I call him the guy I'm dating. It's a mouth full but it doesn't give me that weird feeling.

N-E-Way... Where was I? Oh yes, six months. Last night I got him a card and I wrote him a four page letter and I'm pretty sure embarrassed the heck out of both of us. But what can I say, that is who I am. Either way, I'm not sure what to say about all of it here other than the fact that it is.

I owe you guys a bit of details about us and all of that will come in time as this new blog gets up and running and I can shed some of the veil of secrecy I've been living under for the last year. Let's just say for now that the man is amazing and wonderful and everything that I ever hoped for but never, ever in my wildest dreams thought I could have.

Here's your example, on Friday he got up at 4:30 in the morning to be at my house by 5:30 and drive me two hours to IA City for my surgery. He is not a morning person. 9:00 is early in his world. Most days WAY too early.

He sat with me and calmed my fears before the surgery, he sat in the waiting room for SEVERAL hours during the surgery and my recovery. A waiting room that I have been told was overly pack and overly heated.

He then came back and helped me get dressed as I was all loopy, helped me to my car, and proceeded to drive me the two hours back home with me semi conscious, semi talking the whole way. After we got back into town he took me to the pharmacy to get my prescriptions and then made sure he ordered a pizza so I ate something. Once at my house he got me the medicines, helped me into bed and then set his alarm for ever four hours round the clock so he could get up with me and get me the correct doses as well as help me down the stairs.

M was supposed to go to work at 8:00 on Saturday and he was at my house until 2:00. He pre-approved being gone with his boss and instead of rushing off stayed with me to make sure I was feeling alright, took me out to lunch to make sure I ate something, and then called me when his shift was over to make sure I didn't need him to come back. (He wasn't heartbroken that I told him he didn't have to come back and do the every four hour thing with me again.)

That, in a nutshell, is M. Every day of every week of every month I have known him. We have had some disagreements, we have had some moments were we have both had to step back for a bit but at the end of the day he is kind and loving and treats me like I am a queen.

He is everything that my dad would want his little girl's man to be and I have NO idea how I got lucky enough to find him.

Today I am thankful for the last six months I have had with him. For the endless moments of laughter, even last night when I told him he had to stop before I busted a stitch. For the joy he has brought to my life. For the perspective and the ability to get myself out of my box.

Today I am grateful that he has helped me to see that life is not about what I can put up with or how much I can live through. It is about what I have to live FOR.....

Welcome to my new space people...

I am back.....

No comments:

-->