header-photo

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Say What?

Yesterday at daycare Zack dropped the f bomb. He is three.

All I could think when I talked to the director was oh great... now I am the mother of THAT kid!!

I text Jake right away and the answer I got from him was "Where did he hear that? I NEVER talk like that around him!" Ahhh... yes... oh man who has, consistently over the last SEVERAL years used that word as a part of almost every sentence he says.

But in truth, I don't know that it was him. I have a teenage babysitter who was over on Tuesday night. I have a teenage niece and her two friends who were over on Saturday night. He is around workers at my parents house and Jake's mom has been known to curse too.

Heck, it could have been me for that matter. As I was telling Jim last night, Zack got up in the middle of the night Tuesday night saying he had to go potty and wanting water. I tried to give him a drink of mine and he whined and it was 2 am and I was not happy. I have NO idea what came out of my mouth at that hour. I don't remember it....

Either way, I think the fact that he said it did not make me nearly as angry as the MANNER in which he said it. He was apparently saying it with a group of his friends. The teacher heard him and told him to stop and removed him from the situation. He continued. So she put him in time out. He continued. So she took him to the directors office.

One and done I can handle. This, was a bit more than that. Last night I made him close his eyes when I picked him up from his dad's house and he went straight to bed as soon as we got home. This morning I made him apologize to both of his teachers again and told him if he said it today I would take his gator away.

Now, I just keep waiting for the phone call.... please tell me I'm not the ONLY one who's child has said something wildly inappropriate!!

7 comments:

Bird's Eye View Photography said...

oh no. you are not the first.. and seriously not the last to have a child says inappropriate things.

it is hard when they are this age to know the right way to handle it... bc on one hand if you make a big deal out of it, it becomes exciting to see if he can get away with saying it... and if you ignore it, he may thing it is ok to say.

He will get over it. forget about it and move on to the next bad word I am sure.

I for one think older children that use that word is much worse then preschool kids... They KNOW it is a bad word at that point!

LivingLifeBackwards said...

So not the first parent! I'm guilty of dropping it in front of my kids too. The other day Zaber was in the backseat of the car while I was driving and a guy cut me off and I yelled out "What the F*CK?!?!" Zaber responds with "No, mom you're supposed to say 'STOP F@GGOT'" Uh yeah, was TOTALLY shocked by this. He was told not to say it again and that it wasn't even a mommy or daddy word it was just a BAD word.

Jennifer B. said...

Personally, I think the teacher's make a much bigger deal out of this type of incident than is necessary. Kids experiment with curse words ALL the time - eventually they get old enough and wise enough to not say it when teachers are in earshot. This is a three year old we're talking about - had the teacher said calmly, Z - that is a yucky word and I don't want to hear it again and then said, "Ooh! Look at the bunny outside the window!" the whole thing would have been done and over. It sounds like the teachers reaction is what made him continue. And personally, I'd rather be the mom of "THAT kid" than the mom of the kid who goes and tattles to the teacher (which is how Lennon got in trouble for saying "**it" at school).

Anonymous said...

Children with older siblings are most likely to repeat bad words. At three they don't have any idea what it means, and Jennifer is right that the teachers made a much bigger deal of it than was necessary. Everytime they moved him just reinforced the attention he was getting by saying it. A calm explanation that we don't say that word and then dropping it is best. But be assured, it's not the last time you will hear that or something worse from him. Ahh, the joys of raising boys. You're in for a fun ride. Aunt Cindy

Anonymous said...

My mom once say oh F@ck and my nephew promptly said Nana you don't say F@ck, F@ck is my word. He was 2 1/2 at the time.

Aunt Becky said...

Fuck was my first word, dude. I think you're good ;)

AmyWaWa said...

Oh no. I have many cussing stories with my kids. My son went down to the neighbors house--I think he was four. He looked at their dog eating out of his bowl and said, "Smokey's eating the SHIT outta that food!" A few months later he walked into their house on Halloween and said, "Happy Halloween, BITCHES!" Luckily they are cool and "Happy Halloween, BITCHES" actually became our catch-phrase for a while.

Keep in mind that my mom (who died before my kids were born) used to cuss like a sailor. My daughter was helping my sister put up her xmas tree one year. She was about five. When they were all done she stood back and said, "Goddamn that's pretty!" My sister said she looked down at her and said, "Mom?" lol

And my favorite was when my daughter was three. It was Halloween and I was 8 months preggers. My daughter dressed up like Snow White and I made my hubby a Dopey Dwarf costume. They looked SO CUTE together. We were going door to door and one house had some crooked steps leading to the door. Emily kinda tripped on one and after the lady was done putting the candy in her bucket she said, "Be careful on the steps." Emily said, "I know, I almost fell on the fucking things!" The lady was a bit shocked, obviously, but was chuckling as she shut the door and we were like, "Ok...uh...thanks!" and got the HELL outta there!

-->